Free Flute Trio - Handel's Cleopatra
Flute Trio from Opera - Julius Caesar - Act III - Piangero la sorte mio.
Dear Flute-lovers, I fell in love with this very short but incredible Aria by Handel, Piangero la sorte mio., when first working through John Wion's glorious Opera book for flutists working on tone and phrasing which he titled "Sing!". This Aria is sheer beauty in motion, so I had to arrange it for three flutists. When our three performers in Flutzalad (two teachers and a talented 15 yr. old student on the Aria's vocal part, Flute 1) first described the piece to our audience we said: "Cleopatra has been imprisoned in a power-take-over and is crying for her release. She is saying "I shall weep" as the Aria opens as a slow Largo. But then her fury overtakes her and she says with five passions and nine vengeances: "My ghost will return and make you absolutely miserable if you don't free me!" and THAT is the Cleopatra we know and love, right? They cracked up. :>)
Here is a rough translation of the Italian:
____________
(Largo):
I shall weep, I shall weep,
My destiny now so cruel and unfortunate
For as long as my heart beats.
(Allegro):
But once I am dead,
From every side my ghost will haunt you!
Both night and day, for ever more!
______________
This Aria is molto fabulouso played on Flute. I kid you not. The BEST!
So here it is as a free Trio for three flutes for your to enjoy!
Download free as a gift:
And be sure and send me a youtube link if you perform it.
Here's a video of an amazing vocal and orchestral performance so you can soak up the drama: (video)
Too great, right?
And if your flute trio is thirsty for more free trios, here are some uploaded recently by moi for your enjoyment:
More free flute trios:
J.S. Bach BWV 1020 - G minor sonata, two mvmts. (Intermediate-Advanced)
Gluck - Minuet (Novice) & Dance of Blessed Spirits (Intermediate)
Mozart & Vivaldi and more (Novice to Intermediate selections)
Comments are welcome! Enjoy!!
Best, Jen


Comments (0)