Saturday, July 29, 2006

Misfingerings common in band flutists

I just finished a PDF that can be printed out for Band Flutists.
It's part of a larger document of common "bad habits" of flute students who don't take private lessons.
And talk about "preaching to the choir!" :>)

But flute teachers like myself, who do frequent clinics at various middle schools and high schools in their area, might like to send this PDF ahead to the band teachers for them to hand out to students, along with a simple, one page fingering and/or trill chart, if needed.
Then when you arrive to do your short clinic, at least you'll have one topic that the students already know a little something about.

Help yourself to the PDF at the link below. It covers a few basics:
Common fingering mistakes for student flutists to fix

And send your ideas to me, too.
The comments section is open for your opinions and thoughts. (below)
Happy band students all around! :>)
Jen Cluff
Comments (4)
Anonymous DyslexicFlutePlayer said...

For me, the F sharp fingered with the middle finger (Is that right?) sounds better. But my flute was/is in pretty bad shape. (It's in for repair.) I also did not know about all of the B flat fingerings, so thanks. I also would like to ask your opinion on playing multiple instruments at once. I play clarinet and viola as well as flute, and I've read that playing clarinet can ruin your flute embouchure. I have not heard a difference in tone on my flute, but I'd like to avoid a problem before it occurs.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:39:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Yes, having leaking pads makes all the notes sound "Leaky", so you're likely to find you need to press less hard after repair, and your tone will begin to clear. If you play multiple instruments you need to practice two hours on each, which most people can't sustain. I've never heard that clarinet can "ruin" an embouchure. I've actually met more clarinet-flute doublers that play both with great tone; so I doubt it.
Ask a professional doubler for advice. Best, Jen

Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:38:00 PM

 
Anonymous DyslexicFlutePlayer said...

Ok, thanks!
Sorry it took me so long to respond to this.
It turns out that my pads WHERE leaky, so you were right.

I could play two hours each, but I just do an hour each or so, cause I'm kind of young, so I don't have much time.

I was asking about the flute-clarinet this because I read something on a pretty good sight, and I got worried about it, because I love playing both of these, and I don't want to give ether of of them up.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, and how long this post is.
Thanks for replying, I really like your blog.

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:32:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Glad you like the blog.
Best, Jen

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:44:00 PM

 

Post a Comment