Monday, October 08, 2007

Teaching Tone video no. 1

Hello flutists,
Here is part 1 of a possible video series called:
Teaching Tone. It begins with getting a great B-natural.
Getting great tone (or finding great tone again, if for some crazy reason, you've lost it :>) is all about staying exploratory, curious, relaxed (no excessive tension in the body) and by having fun, being musical and experimental.
More details (and closeups, if I can figure out how to do that with my webcam) will follow if/when the TONE video series continues.
1. Teaching TONE



Please leave comments and questions by clicking on the comment button below. Thanks.
References include:
Trevor Wye - Tone Volume 1 of Practise Books for the Flute
Marcel Moyse - De La Sonorite
Fiona Wilkinson - The Physical Flute
and the Flutetalk magazine article by Patricia George (the tone-finding squiggle method ;>)
All the books above can be found at www.fluteworld.com or at other sheetmusic sources.
In future episodes I'll talk about the great three volume set of books by Roger Mather called "The Art of Playing the Flute" which has tons of experiments for embouchure, tone and resonance. You'll want volume 2 of the Mather set. You can order the Mather books from Fluteworld, or from "interlibrary loan" at your public library if you don't have them already.
Best,
Jen
Comments (6)
Blogger Sheila said...

Bravo!!! First off, I must apologize for not responding to the last tone post, which was marvelously fabulous. Life is full. This comment, then, is in response to both.

I LOVE these ideas of tone, and although I admit, I have, in the past, neglected long tones because of boredom, I am slowly learning the beauty. Seems all this learning happens slowly. Anyway, it's really interesting to finish one day of practicing with the most gorgeous tone, and the next day, you pick up the flute, and it sounds all flat and yucky. What are some of the best ways of making that tone 'roll over' into the next day?

I must say I really appreciate you 'drumming into me' the importance of a 'pingy, ringy, and singy' tone. I would never have thought of that on my own, how could I? It causes me to pay a lot closer attention to the sound quality of other instruments as well, and gives me a greater appreciation for their work. Superbly important stuff.

Love the squigly sweet spot-finding method. I'd forgotten about that one, and I think I'll use that a bit today!

Thank you millions again,
Sheila

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:55:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your video was a revelation for me, and has provided me with more practice ideas. I am a beginning flute player with several years of clarinet in my distant past. I have always loved the flute, and now that I have one I am trying to learn skills that bypassed me years ago.

As someone who is trying to teach myself through books and recordings, it is very easy to stay with a few pleasant-to-me exercises. Thank you so very much for the new experience and perspective you offer!

Blessings to you!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Yva said...

This video is wonderful! I love your explanation on how to use the tone exercises. Too many people just rush through them without trying to adjust. & I just love the Patricia George exercise!

I do wonder though, if it might not be more important when teaching tone to discuss breathing and air usage first. I have found with my students that lack of proper air usage is the first problem that needs to be overcome.

That being said, I still think that this video would be very helpful to those who are past the air usage issues.

Wonderful job!
Yva @~~'~

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:13:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Sheila, Kathy, Yva, for your comments. Very enthusiastic and nice for me to get such positive thoughts.

Yva, yes, air usage is important. I hope to cover it as I proceed. I didn't want to start with it however, but will include it.
Best,
Jen

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Christina said...

Hi Jen!
I love your videos (I'm caezura on youtube). Your website is great! Thanks for sharing!
Christina

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:52:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks so much Christina! :>)
Jen

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment