Sunday, January 25, 2009

Marais to soothe the ancient ears

Dear Fluters,

Interesting to note that the music that I find so soothing today is almost 300 years old! This is a great 'bookend' to those seventies pieces I just blogged about.
This is what I'm listening to today!!

Folias Gallegas from the CD "Altre Follie" by Santiago de Murcia.
(and now I will go buy this whole album!! WOW!)



Marin Marais Le Bandinage


Marais Chaconne for solo viola de gamba


When I was in University in the '80s, many of my friends were cleaning their their 20th century (atonally attacked) ear canals by listening to Marais of the late 1600s, and early 1700s and other lute-viola de gamba-guitar pieces such as these.

If only there were more flute music like this!!!
I believe I shall have to write some, and then put together a band!!

Do you like this music? When you come home in the evening from the parking lots, highways and crowded stores and byways of the big cities, does this not welcome you into a peaceful world?
Then we pick up our flutes and play Marin Marais "Les Folies D'Espagne" and make like a viola de gamba! :>)

Best,
Jen
Comments (1)
Blogger Sheila said...

Beautiful! I need to haul out the Marais again. I really enjoyed playing that. :-)

Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment