Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Galway - Embouchure observation

Dear Flutists,

Thanks to all those who purchased my celtic flute trio music (last blog post).
I'll be adding more as they become available.

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on this James Galway video:



The above video has to the best for camera shots of the embouchure motions that Galway uses to move from low to high octaves. Seldom do you see such excellent close ups of just what every flutist wants to see.
I think this video is a fabulous study tool for intermediate and advanced flutists!
There is a clear diagram of the movements here in a previous blog post.

And if you're feeling all inspired, and want to see another new and excellent flute video, this one has a great Debussy Trio excerpt played by Emmanuel Pahud. Enjoy!



Enjoy and do please comment.
Best,
Jen
Comments (2)
Blogger Triduana said...

Erm. I have been listening to the Reinecke concerto, and at first thought Galway's version on Youtube was from some dodgy old tape. It's that strange ondes martenot/glass harmonica effect he does. Someone else said, when I enquired, that it's his vibrato, but can vibrato really account for something so very swoopy? (rhetorical question, (unless you *want* to answer it, of course) I am really not intending to take up all your time!)

Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't very much like Galway's sound, a little too squeezed and resembling a much that of a pan flute. Emmanuel Pahud on the other hand is a favorite, such bright sounds and fluid interpretation. I am completely mystified by his embouchure though, it is impossible for me to make any nice sound by imitating that duck-lips embouchure :)

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment