Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Method books for adult novice



Question:
I have a 70 yr. old flute student who's progressing steadily through her fourth year of flute playing. Can anyone recommend a good tutor book that doesn't move too quickly? I would assess this student as a grade 2-3 or novice flutist.
She is currently playing "40 Little Pieces" plus duets, and has finished Rubank Supplementary Studies, and I'd like to know what method book would be best to follow.
Etudes by Kohler, Andersen etc. would be progressing too quickly.
Thanks for your recommendations.


Dear novice teacher,

Do see this general list of useful flute books on my website.
And "Method Books" "Tutors" are usually differentiated from etudes and daily exercises. So I hope I'm clear on what kind of book you're looking for.

I might recommend:
______________________
Method books:
__________________

Blocki Flute Method Book Two.

I just received this in the mail last week. In my opinion this would be PERFECT for an adult learner, progressing slowly through her fourth year. Fun tunes, well thought out, lots of variety. Duets, pedagogical advice. Moves slowly but intelligently and includes theory. There is also a Supplementary Duet book 2 which would also perfect be for this type of learner.

Karen Smithson's "Play the Flute" Method books. The pieces in these books are great if you play piano along with your student. Theory included in student's workbooks. Piano Accompaniments has terrific collection of pieces that progress through grades 1-6.

Wye - Beginner book of the Flute part 2 with CD

Also, new on the scene:(if other teachers have used these, please send feedback. Thanks.)
Boosey Flute Method book 2 (book 1 also excellent!)

Winn- Getting On with It (3rd octave by end of book):
_______________________

Fun Solo or Duet material:
____________________
Jessica Walsh's Celtic Music for Flute (add own slurs) with CD.
(can be made into duets)

Abracadabra Flute by Pollock with CD (short pieces with piano accomp.)
This book contains well known short tunes that gradually use the third register more and more as you procede through the book. Your student might start at the half-way point of the book as first few tunes are for complete beginners.

List of graded flute duets.
______________________
Daily Exercises: (short, tuneful)
____________________

Quantz 100 Daily Exercises - easy keys, tuneful short exercises.
Title often seen as: 100 Tägliche Ubungen. Start at no. 55 in F major for a grade 3 novice.

Galli scales/arpeggios opus 309. These are really fun to play. For a grade 3 adult novice use the easy exercises. I believe there are free copies on the net somewhere. They are truly tuneful and fun way of expanding scales and arpeggios into the third octave gradually.
Lots of articulation patterns and easy key signatures.
______________________
Etudes:
_____________________

Endresen - Supplementary Studies for Flute (sample cover) Note: this may be the Rubank Supplemental Studies you've already mentioned. if so see:)

Gariboldi "Mignone" etudes. (free online in pdf) where
they are called "Dainty (sic) studies"

Flute Salad by Oliver Ledbury (unaccompanied solos/etudes.) This is a
great set of etudes at the grade 4-6 level. They're jazzy and fun with interesting rhythms for the jazzier student.

Blakeman (Chester) - The Flute Player's Companion vol. 1 - this goes from grade 4 to grade 6 and may progress a little quickly for the older learner, but well worth owning as a teacher. Divided into "Tone", "Flexibility" and other catagories, this contains advice on how to execute the interesting daily exercises, tune and short etudes.
_____________
For a student who's interested in hearing the flute techniques on CD from a comprehensive "how to" book for flute students, this would be good:

Vernon Hill: The Flute Player's Book with demo- CD (Everything you
wanted to know about playing the flute.)
See index of topics covered in this book;
and order through www.fluteworld.com
_______________________

For a graded list of method books and etude books see the NFA guide (well worth buying if you're a teacher.)

To see grades (example novice = grade 3) see my chart of flute grades.


Best,
Jen Cluff
Comments (8)
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'm a 54 year old flute learner who just finished up my third year and I'd like to add a couple of recommendations, having played through Rubank and 40 Little Pieces.

1. There is a play along CD for 40 Little Pieces available through http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/fallshousepress.

2. Studies in Lyricism for the Advancing Student. Compiled by Larry Clark. Published by Car Fischer. I played horn in high school and remember this from back then. It contains exercises adapted from Enrique Concone, an Italian tenor from the 18th century who developed a method that focussed on lyricism and musicality for his students. I just started playing them on my flute about 2 weeks ago and my tone is already a little sweeter and my sense of phrasing has improved a little. Also, my attack seems to be softer. The book I'm using was adapted for Horn in F. I found a copy on Amazon. It's not a flute book but when I practice it I feel like I'm bonding with those struggling Italian tenors from 150 years ago.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:29:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks for the additions to the list, Christopher. Actually, I think I have the flute version of the Lary Clark/Fischer publication AND the CD for 40 Little Pieces.

Thanks for letting others know though.
I'd forgotten.
Best,
Jen

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:33:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

PPS.
Ahhh...finally, I found the flute version of the "Studies in Lyricism" and it looks great:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Studies-in-Lyricism-for-Flute/17236532

Thanks,
Jen

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:40:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

P.S.
Here's the title for the flute version of the Larry Clark publication, and I see that iit is not Enrique Concone but similar in style, and probably a few grades higher in difficulty.

From www.jennifercluff.com/faverep.htm

Melodious Etudes for Flute - selected from the Vocalises of Marco Bordogni; Compiled and edited by Larry Clark and Sean O'Loughlin. [Carl Fischer] Difficulty level [B+/C] These are beautiful belle-canto etudes or warmups that span the middle and high ranges of the flute. A great companion book for Filas-High Register Studies or Moyse-Tone Development through Interpretation. They are based on the vocalise exercises by Bordogni (1788-1856) and are lovely to listen to. Several of them run in a series with an 'outline version' first, followed by filled in development versions where the gorgeous melodies become more complex and varied. They would suit grade 8 RCM flutists or higher, and allow a variety of legato style techniques. Large intervals and singing descant lines are highlighted. A delight to play as warmups. There are 54 of these etudes in one moderately priced book; all beautiful!!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:20:00 PM

 
Anonymous Jewel said...

I know this is going to sound weird. I participated in a competition almost 40 years ago. The piece of music was a 3 movement 5/4 time 20th century piece the name of which and the composer of which absolutely escape me! It was whimsical and beautiful, and I would remember it if I heard it again. The composer was French, I believe. You might know, I hope, but if you have no idea what I am talking about, perhaps you can help me by pointing to where I need to go online to do a search. I am certain it wouldn't be in the public domain, based on the time signature alone.

Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:36:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Hi Jewel,

I wonder if it was a short piece by French composer Paul Arma?
I'll go and look in my collection.
Jen

Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:41:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

I have Bk. 1 of "Contemporary French Recital Pieces for flute and piano" published by International. There are two volumes (shown here: http://www.worldcat.org/title/contemporary-french-recital-pieces-for-flute-and-piano/oclc/2857591), and I have the first only.
The piece I thought of was "Two Sketches" by Paul Arma, but it is not in 5/4, it is in a combination of 3/8 and 2/4. Just a guess.
Could be one of these two volumes, though. Guessing away.
Jen

Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:53:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Another three mvmt. piece with 5/4 that springs to mind is "Duo for flute and piano" by Aaron Copland. Bit of a stretch.
Jen

Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:55:00 AM

 

Post a Comment