Friday, July 01, 2016

Victor Morosco Masterclass Video

Dear Flute-lovers,

I watched this entire three part Morosco masterclass and WOW!
Lots to talk about. I hope you comment below.
So incredibly interesting; worth taking notes!
And does anyone know the date of this video-taped master class?
 I'm thinking early 1980s but could be earlier....interesting to know.
(new: someone who knows Victor just wrote and says it may be prior to 1970s!)

Also: There are some links to William Kincaid and Julius Baker recordings below as well.
Enjoy!
Best, Jen

Victor Morosco - Teaching a flute masterclass, three parts:

Part 1 - Fundamentals (video)




Part 2 - Articulation (Handel) - Breathing (Handel) - Fingers (Bach E Maj) (video)




Flute exercises for tonguing: http://www.morsax.com/flute1.html

Part 3 - articulation - high register in tuneness - concentration while feeling defensiveness (video)




Additional material:

Julius Baker's Sound:

Julius Baker plays Bach Brandenberg 5:  (video)

Julius Baker Plays Vivaldi "Goldfinch" (video stills with audio)

William Kincaid's Sound:

William Kincaid Plays the Flute - Album in two parts.

Vol 1 from old LP:(45 min audio with stills)

Vol 2 from old LP: (47 min. audio with stills)

______________

If anyone has additional photos of Kincaid's lower lip, or if you have ideas to share, please use the comment button. I'd love input.
Best, Jen
Comments (6)
Blogger Hilary3 said...

The hand position in the Morosi video 1 where he has the left hand at right angles doesn't work with my Di Zhao with offset G without putting the hand in a very awkward position. I think it has to do with the way the thumb key is set up relative to the index finger. On the film, it looks like the two are lined up, but on my flute the index finger is about 1/2" left of the thumb key. I checked my vintage Haynes Commercial with offset G, and the two keys are closer in line, and the right angle recommendation is possible. I've always had trouble with the 4th finger being constricted on the Di Zhao, so I'm experimenting with extending the left index finger key to free up the fingers. I'm hoping this will help my playing. Thanks!

Saturday, July 02, 2016 2:14:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Hi Hilary,
Yes, I agree with you; not always possible for offset and different hand sizes. That's the one thing I might disagree with with Morosco on: inline G. Not necessarily for everyone this hand position. Jen

Saturday, July 02, 2016 4:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Julie said...

I really appreciate this post, so helpful. Thanks!!!

Monday, July 04, 2016 10:40:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Glad to help. Jen

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 12:32:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only just found these master classes on YouTube yesterday and listened to them while I was at work. I've read things on your website since a couple of years ago and I'm gutted I didn't spot these sooner. it's been my flute playing epiphany! I had a go at his tips, and it's made everything so easy. I kept reading about having to have space between your teeth, and opening up the throat, and using more breath support etc, but just holding my jaw in the 'v' position and having my tongue as he said has made everything come together in just an hour. Obviously I need to practice it a lot more, but intonation, tone, flexibility, third octave, dynamics and how long I can make my breath last have improved dramatically n an hour, and because it is so easy, it somehow feels like my fingers are finding it easier too. It doesn't sound too edgy at all, it sounds just as open as when I was trying too hard to be relaxed. So excited! (From Kate...I can't switch my google account t)

Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:37:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Kate, that is so EXCELLENT!
Jen

Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:49:00 AM

 

Post a Comment