Friday, October 12, 2018

Watch embouchure on Baroque flute

Claudio Barile plays JS Bach bwv 1013 on baroque flute (video)

Yesterday I was teaching one or two flute students about the continuous flexibility of the lips.
When Claudio plays this antique style of flute, you can really see the flexibility of embouchure he has to use to tune the notes. Of course this is far more motion than we now need to make on the modern flute, because the modern flute is much much easier to play in tune.

Another thing to notice is about finger height. On a keyless flute it is necessary to raise your fingers out of the way, and not hover over the holes, or it flattens the pitch. On modern flute, this pulling the fingers high and away is not necessary, but it's interesting to see that the "high fingers" habit actually works, and that comes from the baroque flute. (High fingers on modern flute can mean blips and slowed down finger switches).

Claudio Barile's relaxed and artistic approach to embouchure flexibility on such a challenging instrument is very valuable to watch in the Bach below.
For comparison, watch Joshua Smith teach the modern flute playing "The Firebird" by Stravinsky, Variation 9 here.




Enjoy, and comments welcome. I love Claudio Barile's flutist's soulful artistry. It's well worth hearing.
 Best,
 Jen
Comments (2)
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't find message when I ordered the PDF file so I listened and now am saying I bought the book and will buy yours when finished. I am an 80 year old flute player who began at 56. I love it and think your information and playing is great. Carole

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:53:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Carole. Yes, the paypal thingy doesn't always clearly show a message box when you order Roger Mather's book from me. But no worries. Book sent. Glad to hear that you're going strong at 80. LOVE THAT! I have students that have not yet turned 60, who started later in life, asking when they would be too old; I say play as long as you can, and you are PROOF!
Thanks for writing. Jen

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:55:00 PM

 

Post a Comment