Thursday, May 14, 2020

Jen's philosophy about flute practice (mp3 audio)



Jen's philosophy about high skill flute practice

These past few weeks I've listened to my excellent adult flute students "practice time and how they spend it", when they recorded their flute warm-up and run-throughs of various flute pieces/etudes/excerpts and emailed them to me as mp3s.

And because of the extra time we have right now, I just sat down and audio-recorded my entire philosophy about practicing flute at the higher intermediate level (Grade 9 to 10 Royal Conservatory level) and how it differs from the old days, when the student was a novice playing in the earlier grades on flute.

These three audio clips of me speaking (un-edited, as usual, ha ha) are my flute philosophy, how and where it derives, and how to benefit from it, after 25 years of teaching and working with all kinds of intermediate to advanced flute players of all ages.

Enjoy listening to my non-editing self (hope it's okay) and do join in the conversation! I'm philosophizing from a cabin in the woods, and I'd love to hear from experienced players and teachers. Corroborate, for sure!! :>)

Here are the audio recordings of.......
Jen's philosophy (mp3s):
__________________________
Part one: An introduction to the topic of high-skill flute practice
5.8 mb mp3; 5 min audio:
http://www.jennifercluff.com/01philosophyflute.mp3

Part two: The Philosophy of practicing at the high levels (a Zen-like state)
21.2 mb mp3; 16 min audio:
http://www.jennifercluff.com/02philosophyflute.mp3

Part three: Breakthroughs!! Summary giving all tips and tricks.
19.8 mb; 15 min audio:
http://www.jennifercluff.com/03philosophyflute.mp3

Note:
The B to Shining B octave leap exercise is shown in my Longtone pdfs here.
_____________________________

There is a comment button below (I read your comments before posting them here, so it takes an hour or so for them to appear.)

Enjoy, best, Jen
Comments (4)
Blogger Julie said...

Great post! Thanks!

Friday, May 15, 2020 11:22:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Julie, for taking a moment to comment. Never know how I sound until someone ELSE hears me. :>) Best, Jen

Friday, May 15, 2020 12:48:00 PM

 
Blogger LouiseGC said...

Thanks! A really helpful explanation and useful advice I shall try hard to follow without getting stressed about it!

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:26:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Louise for bringing up just how natural "stress" is for all of us. That's just how humans work, right? I listened to "Violympics" with Nathan Cole this week, and he talked about how normal our stress and low self-esteem situations are; as it's our nature; but that by working together we can alleviate the worst of it. :>)

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment