Thursday, October 17, 2024

Still startlingly vunderbarr!

 Dear Flutelovers,

Way back in 1981 my then flute teacher told me that the best possible thing I could do at this point in time, was to go to the University of Toronto, not because getting a degree was that important, but to study privately, affordably, and in town with Jeanne Baxtresser. Best possible advice and to this day I love love LOVE her decisive, informed and incredibly musical playing.

(Unfortunately I didn't get to attend more than a masterclass before she whisked off to the Montreal Symphony and was no longer at U. of T.).

Nevertheless I learn tons and tons from listening to her playing every time I hear it, even today, even now, every time.

The other day I was sweating away, renovating the house, painting the walls with the classical radio on, and I heard the most exquisite music and didn't know what it was. Some most delightful chamber playing. Remarkable!  In the distance, at first the flutist sounded for about four bars almost like a piccolo, it was so simple and lovely, and such a supportive bassoonist, so subtle! I rushed to the radio to hear the announcer say: "That was Jeanne Baxtresser and partner, bassoonist David Carrol playing Kuhlau opus 119."

But of course!!!

Here is the Kuhlau Rondo below so you can hear (hope I can find mvmts. I and II also, but not yet) and also a lovely Madeline Dring movement from her Trio. Enjoy!!

Jeanne Baxtesser and husband David Carrol play Kuhlau Trio op. 119 Rondo (III) (video

Jeanne Baxtresser plays "Simplice", the 2nd mvmt. of Dring's Trio for flute, oboe and piano (video)

Best, Jen 

who's renovating and working on other projects, that's why you haven't heard from me....do comment though if you hear what I'm talking about! Rock on Jeanne Baxtresser!