Friday, August 18, 2006

Baxtresser's best advice

Dear Flutey dudes,

The reports from the NFA Convention have been coming in on the various flute discussion groups, and none yet so detailed and fabulous as the one written up by Susan Maclagan on "Baxtresser's Greatest Discoveries" on teaching, practicing and performing.

With Susan's permission I have done a bit of editing and put it up on my site in pdf.

Help yourself to Baxtresser's Greatest Discoveries here.

Some fascinating topics are covered.
Please feel free to comment or to write about your own studies with Jeanne Baxtresser.

My own Baxtresser stories are minimal but interesting:
She was the top teacher at University of Toronto when I auditioned there in 1982. When I arrived in September to study with her, she'd just left to join the New York Philharmonic. ACK!!! I attended one masterclass with her that year, only (and kept copious notes, which I'll put up when I can locate the box they're stored in :>) and then years later, I adapted my key extensions to match hers, after seeing her in "Live from Lincoln Center" with altered LH keys.
Her CD and book of Orchestral Excerpts is, bar none, the best!!!
It's just such a pity there are not more recordings of her playing solo, but those may yet arrive now that she's retired.
Orchestral flutists rarely have time away from the orchestra to do solo recordings, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed now. :>)
Look forward to your comments.
Best, Jen Cluff
Comments (4)
Blogger jen said...

Hi Celine,
I'm so sorry that you're getting gibberish instead of words. There was one other person to whom this happened with an earlier PDF that I made using primopdf.com, but they wrote back later and said that the problem rectified itself.
If anyone else would like a WORD version of the Baxtresser PDF, just ask and I'm email you one.
Sorry about the bizarre characters---no idea what causes that.
Jen the non-computer-savvy-sheesh :>)

Saturday, August 19, 2006 3:42:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Came right in from our walk and checked out your blog. What a lot of work you've put into it -- it's well-written, entertaining, and must be a fabulous resource for flutists, students and teachers alike. Thinking back to my years teaching piano/theory, I can only imagine how useful something like this would have been.
Frances

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:22:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Frances!!!
You just made my day!! :>D
Jen

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:44:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Hi muse:nashville,
If you can let me know which program you used that finally made the pdf work, I'd appreciate it! :>)
That way if anyone else has a problem opening and reading/printing these pdfs, they will be able to read about what program they can use to fix the problem.
I imagined that perhaps folks needed to update their ADOBE reader to 7.0 or whichever the latest version is....?
Thanks for sharing your solution with us.
Jen :>)

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:27:00 AM

 

Post a Comment