Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Srul Irving Glick Sonata for Flute & Piano

Dear Fluters,

The "Glick Sonata" for flute and piano has become very popular lately. And so far (because I have a Glick Sonata reference on youtube) I've received about 7 or 8 inquiries about how to obtain the sheetmusic.

NEW NOTES: August 2010:

A member of the Glick family has just been in contact to say that the rights to publishing new copies of Srul Irving Glick's Sonata for Flute and Piano are owned by The Canadian Music Centre (CMC) and that the CMC will be publishing new copies to order of the Srul Irving Glick Sonata for Flute and Piano.
So please contact them by email to order an on-demand printing and purchase the work ($30 plus shipping.)

Aside from the CMC lending library, which has, I believe four copies for free six-week loan (to anywhere in Canada) there may be other sheetmusic stores that still have old copies of the "Jaymar" printing of this work.

Here is the online ordering catalogue of the CMC: FIND A SCORE Note that the CMC also has recordings of other works by Glick and similar Canadian composers.

And may I add that the Glick Sonata is a University level flute work, and takes about three months to learn by a very advanced flutist.
Intermediate flutists may like to just work on the beautiful arpeggios in tiny chunks of notes, putting pauses in, just to hear those chords ringing.
Very inspiring.

I would be unlikely to give it to a highschool student for a flute competition as the breath control and multiple meter changes make it typically too challenging for anything other than an accomplished flutist.
But more and more professionals are recording it these days as they discover its charms.

My favourite recording to date is by Susan Hoeppner. Her CD is fabulous.

Best,
Jen Cluff
Comments (4)
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

It is nice to know that there are some copies still available. I had no luck here in the States finding a copy. I called everyone from Flute World, Carolyn Nussbaum, Eble, a few stores in NY, and even out in California.

I even tried contacting the "New Publishers" via e-mail and phone and got no response. So I had to do the bad thing. I had the university where I teach get it through inter-library loan and I had to make a copy for my use in the flute studio since a copy could not be found.

It is something that I did not want to do, but it is such a great piece of music, that I wanted to expose my students to it since many Americans do no know this piece or the composer.

Hopefully it will be available sometime in the future!

John

Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:54:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Hi John,
Thanks for your comment.
I want to point out however, that the Canadian Music Library (link given in the blog post above) allows TWELVE weeks free loan of Canadian composer's full scores to those living in the U.S. You may wish to tell your students about THIS, rather than use copying. :>)
Also, anyone who calls up the current publisher (above Berandol) and asks for them to speed up a new printing of the Glick gets a virtual 20 big points from me! :>)

Also, for those in the U.S. just discovering the Canadian Music Centre and the free music loans, also check out these other flute works which are great!

Michael Conway Baker - Elegy, Capricioso, Sonata for Flute.

Srul Irving Glick - Sonata, Suite Hebraique No. 5 (fl. clr. vln. Vc.)

and

Cameron Wilson - Celtic Partita for flute & piano.

All are winners!

Best, Jen

Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:04:00 AM

 
Blogger Paula said...

Hi Jennifer,
I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy Glick's Flute Sonata and some of my father's other works.

From my understanding, Jaymar went out of business and we took back the publishing rights to all music under agreement with them. At this point in time, we have provided the Canadian Music Centre with the publishing rights so the music is available for purchase through them.

Yours truly,
Paula Glick

Friday, February 20, 2009 12:24:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Dear Paula,
I am SO pleased to hear from you. Thank you and greetings!!
This is great news indeed!!

Really appreciate your contacting me and letting us all know how to get ahold of the Sonata.

Best,
Jen Cluff

Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:56:00 AM

 

Post a Comment