Monday, December 04, 2006

Videos on flute cleaning & marking

Dear Fluters,
Two new (quickly made) videos to answer yesterday's questions and comments.
The first derived from a comment about "How do you 'not touch the keywork' when you are swabbing and cleaning the flute?" Well, here's a quick 4 minute video on fast swabbing using Roger Holman's Flute Flag, or using a conventional cloth-swab:

FLUTE CLEANING


There are lots of flute-care tips you can read or print out here
.

The second video is 6 minutes. I'm showing the markings that I use to put the headjoint on quickly, and set it to approximately A=440. I don't care for 'sighting down the barrel' as some flutists do, to line up my headjoint. So the tiny tick-marks I use, put on with a special 'shiney surfaces' marking pen (buy at office supply) allows me to set my headjoint at the right angle to the body (this will be covered in a future video; how to determine the angle) and where A=440 is on my particular flute, at room temperature. Markings in all are drawn on my flute as explained in this video. I also show The Thumbport for the RIGHT thumb, pencil grips for the left index finger and other teacher's aids such as The Tuning CD.

FLUTE MARKING


Do please feel free to leave your comments here, or on YouTube.
And HUGE thanks to all the nice people who left such positive comments on the earlier video!!! :>D You folks are the BEST!!! :>D
Thanks you devoted flutey dudes. :>)
Jen
Comments (11)
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent - well done - very informative!!! Thank you Jen, your posts are always spot on and easy to understand.

Monday, December 04, 2006 6:07:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks Meg. Great to hear from you!
Best, Jen :>)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:59:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The markings for pitch is a good idea, although does it not make the flute less pleasing to look at?
How can you determine where to mark the flute? I find that the position of the headjoint changes regularily.....

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 5:38:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

I'm not one of those flutists who's particular about keeping the flute "good to look at". I have added anything to my flute (key extensions, headjoint markings, grippy pads etc.) that helps me play better.

The headjoint setting remains constant depending on:
a) the experience level of the flutist
b) the temperature of the room
c) the size of the performing space and projection required of the flutist.
I find that the markings remain constant for the experienced player.
Best,
Jen

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:47:00 AM

 
Blogger kdy12570 said...

As a beginner without the benefit of an instructor (for now), I am finding your videos and website incredibly helpful--THANK YOU! I will be checking back often to see if you have added more to your blog/website.

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:06:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're a beginner, and that this stuff is of help! That's great news!
Let me know if you have any questions.
I always love a good question! :>)
Also, if you want to be instantly notified when there's new stuff up on my blog, just click on the "JOIN" button on the right.
It's an automatic "feed" service that simply sends you an email if I put up anything new (videos, articles etc.) on my blog.
No commitment; just a reminder email.
Best and thanks for the comment,
Jen

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:49:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Oooops. It's not a "JOIN" button, it's a "SUBSCRIBE" button.
But it works great. Try it out.
Best,
Jen

Monday, December 18, 2006 9:51:00 AM

 
Blogger kdy12570 said...

Thanks for the tip--I subscribed right away. I am taking my time and reading through all the material on your website and reading all the articles and references you have listed--whew! Very comprehensive. Now if I can just get my hands on some of the recommended beginner books, I might be able to move a little farther along in my studies.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your videos. Keep making more as they are very helpful! Thank you!

Friday, February 02, 2007 1:49:00 PM

 
Anonymous Michael in Cornwall UK. said...

Came back to flute playing after 25 years, found your lessons on film confidence boosting and comforting,thank you X

Monday, December 06, 2021 8:49:00 AM

 
Blogger jen said...

Thankyou Michael. Boosting and comforting are GREAT things. Thanks! :>)
Jen

Monday, December 06, 2021 8:57:00 AM

 

Post a Comment